Sunday, October 10, 2010

Monkeying around...

When I was young the Planet of the Apes series was one of my favorite reasons to go to the movies (yes, I'm that old) and it wasn't until much later that I realized that only the first movie was really any good. I'm sure the fact that it was written by Rod Serling probably had something to do with that and Charlton Heston's over the top, stilted acting was actually acceptable (not something you could always say about his acting - Moses? Really?)
Taylor and Nova have been suggested every week since the time I started the Fan Request Fridays by a friend so I thought it was time to reward his persistence. I'm not sure I completely succeeded in capturing Heston or Linda Harrison but I damn well nailed the rifle.

5 comments:

JRtist said...

LMAO Yeah, you nailed that rifle spot on! It's like I'm looking into the movie, and it's like right there for me to touch, it's that realistic! LOL

This is awesome man! I love how you created this piece. I agree, the first POTA was the best. I watched all of them, even the tv show. I never heard of the cartoon until recently. And even though the acting was a bit... eh, it's a lot better than the remake from a couple years back. I think it's just how ... simplistic it was that really made it that more interesting. Well, that and the fact Linda Harrison was in it.

Thanks so much bud! I REALLY can't tell you how awesome this is. Now, I'll try pestering you for something else in future months. LOL

Thanks again, Amigo!

Anonymous said...

Great drawing! Love the Heston-esque expression he's sporting! Really?! 'Stilted acting'?!! The guy was a living legend! Superb actor! "Khartoum", "Ben-Hur", the least of which, "The Ten Commandments"!!!

BAD said...

Steve I've always liked your art especially on X-Men but your depiction of human anatomy here is beautiful yet simple. I enjoy seeing your X-Men sketches every now and then. No other animated series has filled the void artistically for me since X-Men: Evolution ended. Have you ever drawn Tarzan? I think you would draw a very good sketch of that character.

Somsenater said...

Now that we're living in a day and age of remakes, maybe it should be time to redo the animated series of Return to Planet of the Apes that was done in the 70s. I nominate you to do the animation. :0) Maybe get Craig Kyle in on the story and there would be some success right there!

Anonymous said...

Heston never looked that heoric. I am getting a He-man vibe!